Wednesday, 6 May 2015

A Reminder

I went back to west Wales this past week to spend some time with my family. It’s a small town on the far west coast; there is a single train line that runs into town 3 times a day. When I say single train line I mean that literally, only one train at a time can use it; there is a junction about 15 miles away up the line and when you get there you pick up the token to carry as you head to Fishguard and then hand it back when you go back east again. There is only one token, so no token, no passage; otherwise there would be a head on collision. 

I took the train back towards London this morning and spent my time gazing out of the window over the area I knew intimately but was seeing from a totally different perspective. I saw the back garden of the house I grew up in and saw the extension that has been built onto it. I went past my gran’s old house; the place I had spent every Saturday for the first 18 years of my life, along the train line we used to play on (eep) and on past the woods and river we used to play in as kids. Along the damp, boggy valleys I used to cycle through to go see my friends, the town and train line I used to walk along (eep! again) to get to the woods with my other friend to do our ‘pagan stuff’.

It was this bit that struck something in me.

There has been a lot of talk on the blogosphere, such as this. A narrative with a focus on the idea that we have been cut off, separated and disconnected from our gods and the land, by capitalism, Christianity or whatever you wish to blame.


I think that is wrong somewhat, I think it isn't that we have been cut off, more than we have forgotten. When I was 14 or and my friend and I started doing out pagan stuff we did what seemed obvious, we headed out of his town and went into the woods, always out on the hills, the woods or up on the Carnau near his farm. I think we instinctively know where to find the Gods, we instinctively know where they are waiting, where they are to be found and if and when we decide to hear them we know instinctively where to go to find them. We haven’t been cut off, we just need to remind ourselves.

1 comment:

Lorna Smithers said...

I think this issue in complex. In a sense, and I think more for people living in the industrial period working 14 hour shifts people were cut off from the land and thus the gods. Whilst some of us lucky enough to be drawn intuitively to wild places and thee gods others remain trapped in capitalism's illusion there is nothing of worth in life but material gain. They are cut off. But only by an illusion. Being illuded is perhaps a form of forgetting, although it's one brought about by the individual but the system?