Sunday, 1 March 2015

Divinations

The other day, Sannion of House of Vines did a divination for me. I blogasmed the results soon after.

The divinations answered some questions I had and, more tellingly, made it clear that I lack any form or oracular means for divination at the moment. This has been on my mind and I have given thought to what I could adopt as an oracle to use alongside devotional work. 

Runes I have used before, like 15 years ago, and quite liked them at the time. I do though feel hesitant in using them as they fall outside my current cultural religious framework. I am not averse to things Scandinavian as it were, I just don’t currently worship or venerate any of those gods and taking a tool from that cultural/religious framework and slapping it into my own practice doesn't sit well with me. Ogham I just don’t like and Coelbren; no, just no fucking way. Tarot; I really struggle with remembering the meanings and making use of them.

This is where Sannion’s method comes into it – and I have blatantly and shamelessly adopted his method here – he uses dice and various Hellenic hymns (I think) to divine an answer.

Just to quickly mention the awenydd; they would go into trance and utter poetry from which meaning could be derived, so we have precedent in the ancient British cultures (hooray!) for poetry as a vehicle for oracular work.

So, I took certain poems that stood out to me as being meaningful and with the magic of excel created 200 odd lines of poetry with a mean of ‘divining’ a line from 3 rolled dice.
This evening whilst doing some other devotionals I asked Gwyn ap Nudd if monthly devotionals at the dark of the moon were an acceptable piece of praxis, his answer:

“As always, I have questions”

Taken on its own this was almost like we were having a conversation right there and then. So I rolled again to see what that question might be;

“The wren who stood upon the shoulder of a giant”
“Thy wanderings on Gwibir Vynyd”

At this point I was struggling to put these next two divinations into a context and get an interpretation (largely because I have no idea what Gwibir Vynyd means), so I asked for clarification and got;

“He will lead us to where the horizon ends”

This actually made things a lot clearer. My interpretation is that he will ask something of me – the devotionals perhaps – and in return, on my wanderings, he will lead me to where I need to be/want to be.

The wren thing I am not sure on, though I have my suspicions. Anyway, this was fascinating and worked out really, really well. I can see me definitely making use or oracular work if things continue like they have with this though given that the poetry in question is dedicated to and features Gwyn  I think future oracular work will be via him, of course making use of the old sage request:


Gwyn ap Nudd, you who are yonder in the forest, for love of your mate, permit us to enter your dwelling


I should note, the poetry I have used comes largely from "Enchanting the Shadowlands" by Lorna. As someone who is walking the path of the awenydd, it seemed entirely appropriate to use the poetic words dedicated to Gwyn as an oracle. So huge thanks to Lorna!

2 comments:

Lorna Smithers said...

Really fascinating to hear about the new developments in your divination / oracular work. I've used runes when at Heathen rituals and workshops and found them to be powerful but wouldn't use them in my personal practice. I've felt no calling to Ogham but do use Coelbren for the odd inscription. I also use the Wildwood Tarot. I actually have a Faery deck at home that Gwyn appears in but wouldn't recommend it.

I do really like the idea of using material already written for a particular deity. And am now having ideas about using some of the poetry I'm working with that relates to The Old North in similar manner. So thanks for that.

That you got 'thy wanderings on Gwibir Vynyd' is very interesting. Is it not a line Gwyddno speaks to Gwyn in regard to Dormach? Heron translates Gwibir Vynyd as 'firmament' but I've also seen it translated as 'Cloud Mountain.' Dormach is said by Evans to move 'ar wybir' - to ride on the clouds that haunt mountaintops... then you get the lines referring to the hound in 'A Journeying Song'... *very* interesting!

Lee said...

I will email you the template I use for this, you can then paste into it the poetry and it saves you constructing it yourself. You will see what I mean (as long as you are a bit familiar with MS EXcel.