Sunday, 19 June 2011

Maponos

This is unabashedly lifted from Heron's blog as it is something I have never come across before. It sets off all kinds of lines of thought in my mind as to the connection of Maponos to other gods and his roles within a Brythonic pantheon. He is not a god I have much pull towards so this snippet sets of links that I can relate to and work with.



Andedion uediiu –mi diiiuion risu naritu Maponon



Aruernatin: lotites sni eθθic sos briχtia Anderon


(Gaulish tablet found in a sacred spring at Chamalières)



Which, freely interpreted, is rendered as;



Maponos of the deep, great god

I come to thee with this plea:

Bring the spirits of the Otherworld.”



It is silly o'clock here so I will come back to this tomorrow and the run up to midsummer to post some thoughts - once I run it by some people in order to make sure I don't run amok with this and spout a load of shit.

9 comments:

Nellie said...

for what it might be worth my feelings on Maponus lead me to think that He is something of a liminal figure, a God that can slip easily between worlds and lead others to do the same.
Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts!

Mr Araújo said...

I don't mean to spoil your fun, but that inscription is considerably known. You can find it and a decent translation here - http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_m/mabon.html :)

Deiniol said...

With all due respect to Mr Araujo, that is most definitely not a decent translation. (It's safe to say that pretty much anything from Celtnet.org.uk is going to be inaccurate at least in part.)

Heron's rendering is not a translation, rather something inspired by the Chamalières tablet.

Angelina said...

fascinating! I've been studying my connection to the Divine Youth Maponos and this is very inspiring.

Heron said...

For the record, as Deiniol says, I didn't claim this as a literal translation ( I don't claim to be able to read Gaulish).

John Koch, in his sourcebook, (The Celtic Heroic Age) gives a possible word for word translation of the passage: "great-god(?) beseech I divine tablet magic(?) Maponos/ Arvernian quicken(?) us & it is them spell infernal beings". The Celtnet text reflects his "tentative" attempt to make this meaningful.

My use of it was to make what I could of Koch's tentative translation. Anything of this sort is very much provisional and any inspiration we gain from it is just that. As must any inspiration gained from such 'tentative' sources be.

Will Parker said...

I remember looking at this when I was at uni. There are about three different translations from reputable scholars - all wildly different - which tells you something about the state of knowledge on Gallo-Brittonic epigraphy, if nothing else.

Nonetheless, its a fascinatingly evocative text - its obscurity has the capacity to set off all manner of echoes. Argueably more magically powerful now than it was then ;)

Lee said...

Will,

good to see you here and thanks for posting :)

aside from the one on Celtnet, are any of the other attempts available relatively easily?

Lee

Hilaire said...

M L West in Indo-European Poetry and Myth has a partial translation:

andedíon uediíumi diíiuion risunartiu Mapon Arueriíatin:

by virtue of the Lower Gods I invoke Mapon Arveriatis

(p. 52-3)

Lee said...

oh I have that book, I shall have to revisit it.