Monday, 25 April 2011

Calan Mai Myth

As I have said before, I really like the Kilhwch-Olwen-Hawthorn Gaint legend that can be so easily and conveniently set at this time of year. So when the notion of writing new myths to 'explain' and go with seasonal celebrations came up it was an obvious thing to retain. In addition, the possible seed in the legend of Kilhwch being a remnant of a Pig God as suggested by Patrick Ford.


So this is Nellie's fault to an extent, my sitting down and sowing some seeds of ides and seeing what kinds of weeds may grow. I am happy with the concept of this myth; I like the little nods to other ideas and the medieval legends but essentially I like the overall message; summer is coming, the weather is getting a lot better and soon the land will be lush and bountiful and full of LIFE.


I am sure it will undergo a revision or two, and I can hazard a guess a to how will be in an ideal position to make and corrections or additions/subtractions. Fire away chaps!


* * * 


The songs of the Gods and the Ungods had reached the ears of Rigantona in the Halls of the dead. The songs of all peoples of the land the and animals who lived in, on and above they had called her back to the Land she had once formed from the flesh of Dyeus.


In her absence the Wives of Winter had given birth to many sons and the first among them was the Thorn tree. In the absence of Rigantona he had stretched his arms across the land and choked the life from it; all things which grew were shrouded under his twisted and thorny grip and all things which ran and breathed were scratched and torn at by his thorns. And so it was that even with the passage of Rigantona back into this world, the growing and breeding all of all living things was not able to come back with her.


Rigantona passed over the land as best she could, everywhere she went her passage was hindered by black branches and tearing thorns and so she set out to clear the Chief Thorn tree from her way.


She went to the only one of the First Animals she knew who could pass unhindered across the land; Mokkonos and went to him as a white sow. The son she bore from him was taken up by the gods. Gobannos forged for him a great iron spear, which Ambactonos sung into a charm of cutting that only he knew for the strongest of ploughs for tending the wildest of lands.


This narrow boar of a son of Rigantona was borne by her to the heart of the Thorn and there sought to do battle with him. He took his song charmed spear and drove it deep into the heart of the Thorn and stole almost all of it's life from it.


As the life fled from his body, Rigantona sang into his veins and his blood began to course anew in his body. As it did so every part of him and his offspring put out fresh new leaves to cover their hard black branches and soften their wicked black thorns.



As the last breath left the Chief Thorn Rigantona seized it up and cupped it in her hands, there she mixed it with the blood sap which spilled into the soil and breathed life into her.


Rigantona set her narrow boar son and his new wife to travel the land pushing back the sons of the Thorn, and as they passed the White Track daughter of the Thorn set the branches with blossom.


This is why, once the son of Rigantona and his White Track Wife pass across the landscape and set the dead thorns with leaf and with blossom, the fullness of Rigantona will pass by soon after.

6 comments:

Heron said...

This is an interesting way to link the Hawthorn with Rigantona. I've always associated them, though not in the way you connect them here as I've always thought of the hawthorn as being a feminine tree directly expressing an aspect of her, rather than as you have it here. Food for thought!

Lee said...

the feminine thing; i always see it as such, when in leaf and blossom. when it is bare it is far more masculine to me; thorns, bent, crooked and a lot less 'graceful' shall we say. hence the male Thorn becomes the White Track when blossoming, as if she was in there but held captive before being set free in spring.

Potia said...

Every hawthorn I've got to know has always seemed feminine to me in all seasons, just showing different aspects of femininity. In the winter the hawthorn to me seems to show both an old woman and a warrior aspects where in the spring it seems younger.

Still thinking about the rest of the story :)

Lee said...

perhaps I am being too specific with hawthorn and should leave it more generic 'thorn tree'?

Nellie said...

I had to read this a few times before I felt able to comment properly.

I agree with Potia in that for me Hawthorn is feminine. But that idea of a transformation I think is very potent and has really grabbed me. The strangling thorn which becomes the beautiful and mysterious, yet largely benevolent hawthorn... I like.v It's as though the Hawthorn is the daughter of both Rigantona as shaper and the Thorn. I can see how the idea of the female energy of the Hawthorn being born/created from the male energy of the thorn works.

Isn't there some link between Brigit and boars?? I'm starting to see a rather complex relationship between Rhiannon and Briganti, which is why I mention it. I've been writing some of my own stories which will maybe help me express that :D

Potia said...

Liking this more and more. It seems that this year is inspiring a number of stories among us :)