Saturday, 5 February 2011

Brigantīcā

Miraculously, I was up well before dawn. I did all of the washing up and about an hour before dawn sat about cleaning the cooker; and by the gods did it need it. Once done, I lit my oil lamp from one of the burners and switched off all other lights in the flat. About half an hour later at around sunrise, I lit some candles from the central lamp flame and then carried it back into the kitchen and used it to light one of the burners on the hob. Said a few words to Briganti, blew out the flame and then relit it from the new hob flames.

I followed this with offerings to the household gods, making use of two new hymns to Rosmerta as part of the libations.

This evening, after a day on the allotment I will set about my 'proper' ritual and triple toast in honour of Briganti at a time being shared with others of similar persuasion.


I
A Hymn to Rosmerta at the filling of the cup


It is you who pours out this drink,
not my hands that cause it's flowing.
It is you that can make this happen
as it is you who has that power to give
it is you who bestow this drink upon us
it is you who hands it to the sovereign
not my hands that pour and present it Rosmerta;
it is only you who can offer this cup
it is you who makes it more than it is
through your grace it becomes the
drink of sovereignty, bestowed
upon those of the Teguloktos Rigantona.



II
A Hymn to Rosmerta at the making of a libation


The bull sons pour down
onto the belly of the mare
and under the gaze of the golden
chariot; are fruits borne.
It is your place to pour them
and proper for you to provide
them. Into my hands
place them and guide
me in my pouring.
May the libation be good.


Your hand at mine so the oblation may be proper
and the guest honoured.
Rosmerta; guide my pouring.




5 comments:

Nellie said...

I think this is very fitting - I'm looking forward to seeing more of the prayers you've written.

I've written a prayer to use with some beads that I carved (you can see the poem on my blog) where I've used your line 'as is right for me to do so' on the end of each stanza. I hope you don't mind me using this? I've linked back to you here at your blog so everybody knows where the line originates :)

Frenchie said...

I really like the hymns to Rosmerta. They're a bit long for my personal practice, but they fit in perfectly with the conception of Rosmerta that seems to be emerging in Brython. I particularly like the imagery in the second one (although I think you've left out a "to" on the fifth line, just a heads up).

Lee said...

Nellie: I am fairly sure I borrowed the phrase from Deiniol, though I am sure neither of us would mind you making use of it. that is one of things underlying Brython; sharing and making use of others ideas as they fit.

Frenchie: thanks :)

Deiniol said...

For what it's worth, I think that I in turn borrowed the phrase from Ceisiwr Serith. Propogation of this kind of thing from one practitioner to another is one of the wonderful things about what we do :)

Lee said...

if nothing else it leave a trail or future researchers to get frustrated over :)