Wednesday, 10 March 2010

A sessile nature is hard to shake

I am being particularly lethargic at the moment in all sorts of facets of life – obviously this being one.

Right now I am in the 2 week lull of the lunar ritual calendar I have set myself and it is a kind of odd feeling; on one hand I want to find something that can fill this 'gap' and on the other I dont.

* * *

I have done some book shopping: Comparative Mythology, Indo-European stuff and this essay on a pair of Vedic deities who have a connection with a pair of Brythonic ones.

The connection between Mitra and Varuna and Lugus and Nodens has been a bit hazy and not something I could grasp and getmy head around really; certainly in a way that seems fitting and relevant to me and my practices. That said, there has been a lightbulb moment recently in which things are slotting into place. How they fit into the grander cosmology of things is another matter and something which will reveal itself in time I suppose.

* * *

Other than that, things have been quiet; some interesting developments at work which may see me spending a month in Paraguay on fieldwork, or doing a Phd which would be rather interesting in and of itself but more so as it would involve lots of fieldwork in southeast Asia. I am also currently working on a digital reconstruction of a dinosaur brain case and the neural canals within the skull from CT scans, for publication.

On that rather off topic note I think I will leave it there for now.

1 comment:

Deiniol said...

I have to say that I've always found Dumezil rather heavy going, particularly in translation. Still, Mitra-Varuna was certainly helpful to me in formulating my own beliefs about Lugus and Noudons.

Also, I just have to say: dinosaur brains! Awesome!