Saturday, 16 January 2010

A New Year

It has been almost 2 months now since I did a post on here so forgive me if this turns into something of an epic. Whether it will be followed by regular sequels remains to be seen but I think it about time I got my arse back in gear as such.

The Midwinter Season

An odd shift seems to have taken place; I have always really looked at the winter solstice and holiday 'season' as a series of largely solar events. Sunset on the 21st and sunrise on the 25th etc being points of importance in the seasons from a purely solar point of view. This year though there is a strong emphasis on how I feel about things, it is all turning around to point at Rigantona. It feels like I am no longer focussing on the cause of what's going on, but realising it is all about the effects; right here on solid ground. It is more about what the change in the sun's pathway means to the landscape and of course me. As someone who loves the cold weather and revels in the snowy landscape we have been living in for a couple of weeks, I cant help but feel a tingle of what is about to happen to the world around me. That to me is part of what the celebration is about. Anyhow, that said I flunked up on maintaining anything like the plans I had for marking Eponalia, the solstice and the 25th; fasting during daylight for 4 days after arriving back home and visiting family simply don't mix. Food is simply brought before you and considering that my gran and cousins are rather splendid cooks it just simply didn't cross my mind not to dig in. I did pop outside and make the triple toast and libations; under the stars, overlooking the sea in my mum's back garden. In some ways I am a little disappointed, in others not; I was on the train home on the 28th – Eponalia – and spent it passing snow smothered England, the highlight watching snow settling on the White Horse at Uffington (passing it and seeing it has become something of a highlight, something that deserves a mental salutation). I think this recent season I have gained a new appreciation, and find that I am more settled and comfortable in my place within the scheme of things.

Starry, Starry night

the night time stroll to see my father when back home – divorced parents – reinforced that the heavens should play a part in my ritual calendar. The sense of awe and wonder never diminishes; the bolt down my spine and flutter in my heart are as strong as ever when I look up to see Orion or a merest peek of a new moon. Recent discussions on Caer Feddwyd and other blogs of importance have inspired me on how this will happen.

I am going to begin pulling together a set of observances based upon a lunar calendar;

1: the new moon, that point where the light of the moon is absent will be a time to remember the ancestors in a very simple form. Potia has talked about her own practices and reminded me of something I did a fair while back. It will be a simple affair; light a candle and make a cup of tea. A chat, a remembrance and nothing more. I am going to begin gathering photos of my recent deceased ancestors of whom I have no pictures, and to learn their stories.

2: three nights after the new moon will be dedicated to Taranis. The night when the 'horns' are in the sky will be linked to the sky god. The spinner of the wheel of the sky.

3: the full moon will be dedicated to Rigantona.

As yet, Tigernonos doesn't really feature, I'm not too sure of His place within the scheme of things as I see it is unclear. I have inklings, ideas and thoughts but they need time.

The final matter I have in mind, but again I don't know HOW to implement, isthe rising of Orion with Mokkonos.


In terms of liturgy and practice I will leave that for now I think, I will call it an incentive to post again soon and not leave such a long gap.



No comments: