Monday, 24 August 2009

Archetypes

So, I bought myself a copy of this with a view to getting my head around the concept of archetypes and how this may be applied to my own grasp on my own personal theology.

So, if my understanding of archetypes – at a simple level at least – is roughly correct then there are two immediate implications that come to mind with reference to the gods:

on the one hand they are fabrications of the human psyche in place to interact with god archetypes within the collective unconscious. As such they do not exist outside of the human mind. In this case, interaction with them is a means of interacting with and tapping into the collective unconscious.

On the other hand, it might be that they do exist as discrete entities and our interacting with them – in fact our very search for them is driven by archetypal images which we seek to fulfil. As such, we have an innate set of deities built into us which we seek out in the world around us and form relationships with. This would to some small extent go toward explaining why different cultures come up with the same types of gods albeit based upon a local experience of them. I would need to do a hell of a lot of research to support this with some solid examples, however the type of thing I am thinking about is that in different cultures, different gods of the same sort e.g. the Sun God or the Sea God have similar associations. Maybe. Or maybe not.

There is something about all of this that is fleeting at the edge of my conciousness, something I can almost see but cant quite grab hold of yet. It is there when I am trying to mentally digest Jung's concepts, like a buzzing fly I cannot yet swat. Give it time.

2 comments:

Bo said...

Good old Jung. He is notorious for writing foggily. Borrow Noel Cobb's book when you;re up here if you like!

Heron said...

I've been 'giving it time' for years but am not really much farther on than the conclusions you describe!