Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Mokkonos

When I was bitten by the idea of a swine god in the native British traditions last year, it hit hard and was with me for a few months. One of the ideas I had was that it was a seasonal deity, something connected to winter. Lo and behold the buzz died off in the early part of the year once spring was getting underway. As it happens, a couple of weeks from when it got underway last year, it is back.

The events at Flag Fen have sparked a flurry of activity at Brython, and in doing so have sparked activity within myself. Part of what has been happening has been to crystalise thoughts and ideas into a coherent whole; for instance a common language we will use when referring to Brython matters, the establishment of the tribe identity and tribe patron – in this case the Grey Mare. An idea put forward is that although the Mare may guard the tribe and be the tutelary goddess of the tribe, the various aelwydydd (plural) within the tribe (something akin to a ‘coven’ in modern paganism, though meaning more like ‘family’ of ‘hearth’) would have their own tutelary deities. From the outset I knew there was only one for my own aelwyd (sing.); Mochon. It was one of those times when you know something, you know it is right and can be no other way. Whilst I accept that we cannot know for sure there was a swine god of some description in the native British tradition, there IS someone within that identity now and making contact.

Something I looked into was the idea of a ‘symbol’ for this god. The Tribe/Tylwth/Toloktos of Rigantona has the white horse and she will be at gatherings etc on a banner dedicated to her, I want something for my own aelwyd, something I can take to gatherings a a representation of my tutelary god and a member of the tribe. I found online some information about a silver Iron Age coin that was barred from over seas sale recently (by the government) because of its significance – on one side the common horse imagery, on the other – a representation of a boar. Perfect. A bit of tweaking with the ever handy Paint on my PC and something resembling a workable image came out:



At this stage I will keep quiet about other discussions going on at Brython until an appropriate time to start publicising them. Also, considering things are picking up with Mochon again I will blog more info as it happens and things develop.



6 comments:

Bo said...

I think you're on a good bet with Mochon. After all, as it just means 'Divine Pig' an ancient Brit could have coined *Mokkonos in response to just such a prompting as you now feel.

Incidentally, sorry my first guess was wrong about Toloktos - I stupidly failed to realise that the ty- of tylwyth had arisen from *tego-, 'house'; toloktos or toluktos would have been possible phonologically as ancestors of tylwyth, but the correct British form would actually have been tegoluktos. So Tegoluctos Mocconi, 'Family of the Swine-god', Tylwyth Mochon. (Note with British you have case-endings! This is why it's a fucker.)

Heretic pagan said...

Hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moccus

Lee said...

good gods man, dont apologise. your help has been invaluable in so many ways.

many drinks are owed you

Lee said...

Heretic... thanks for that. i had come acrsos it a while back last year and did a bit of research into the matter too. ended up with a published article in a pagan magazine to boot.

Lee said...

oh and in case you fancy a gander:

http://spikeyface.googlepages.com/pigcult

Teyrnon said...

This is interesting to me Lee. I've always had a particular feeling for the Twrch Trwyth image in 'Culhwch and Olwen' and this connects to that. I'll look forward to seeing where you go with it.

Heron