Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Dirt between my toes

Ok, not some reference to a sexual deviancy but towards the connection I feel with the landscape around me.

Since living in London it is becoming more noticeable that I don’t hold the same connection to the landscape. This was brought home to me over the weekend when I went back to west Wales to visit the family. We went out for the morning for a walk along Newgale beach and even the drive there grabbed me, hell I think I was getting that feel on the train heading out of the urban areas and into the English countryside. On the beach the wind was blowing, the waves were crashing and the sun was shining, gulls were hovering overhead and in the distance were the igneous cliffs I know so well. And that is the thing – out in the countryside, I know where I am, I feel the land beneath my feet and I become part of it. This ISNT something I feel in London. Sure I feel a slight connection, even a feeling of home-ness, but not in the same string way I feel when I’m out in a wheat field or in a woodland or by the sea.



I don’t quite know what to do about it.

3 comments:

Ancestral Celt said...

I know exactly where you are coming from, having just returned from Scotland where its quite obvious my connection to its genius loci and landscape is far more potent than it is here in Kent.

I have decided I need to move as soon as I am able, as I feel there is no point staying where I don't feel "at home".

Bo said...

Me too. Know the feeling. I cope by living in a fairly pastoral city.

Fog Patches. said...

I recommend you survey some old maps and walk some of the routes which are still there. The 17th Century was interesting, enchanted but not remote. Read also some of the letters of the time.