Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Dirt between my toes II

This follows on from the post below, I had to leave it to get some work done and didn’t know if I was going to be back and so posted it half done. So, as I was saying, I don’t really feel the same connection to the landscape in London which is hardly surprising really for obvious reasons. I was giving though to how I can do something about this and something that crossed my mind was to start with the Thames. As a feature of the London landscape it certainly stands out and is a key feature. Anyway, the long and short is that I am thinking I might do a walk from the course of the Thames to its estuary. However, it seems the Thames is about 200 miles long and of course a walked route will be longer still! So perhaps some sort of partial route is in order – perhaps from oxford to the estuary.

3 comments:

Ancestral Celt said...

Rather than take on the whole of the Thames, is there some waterway closer to where you live/work with which you can start?

The springs that feed my local river are less than a mile away, and are generally hidden from the public view (who just don't realise they are there) and so are readily accessed for some relaxed contemplation.

lee said...

i am tempted to start near oxford, aminly because i want to go see the white horse at uffington. well, its kind of near oxford anyway.

Bo said...

it's a good forty minutes by car west. I'd say come and stay but im moving in 2 weeks!