Tuesday, 25 March 2008

once again with vigour

Everything we could consider part of a native British Mystery Tradition is long dead and forgotten, whatever secrets they had haven’t been spoken of in centuries. The experiences of their gods and their ‘dealings’ will probably never be felt again. As depressing as this is, we still have the names of these gods – or titles at least, as most seem to be – and know something of their character. This bare minimum is a foundation and a starting point, a place where many people can begin the contact and start to share experiences with the aim of rebuilding the bridge to the otherworld once again.

What is the value of any Mystery Tradition for that matter? Why does it need to be secret? Why not be publicly disseminated?

I could have been told the Mysteries of Wicca up until now, though they would not have had the same effect as they did from being there in front of me in the way they were. Having seen this happen three times now from three perspectives has le to three different experiences. I don’t doubt for one moment that the next time will have a subtly different effect too. I guess that’s where the power lies: the witnessing and the being part of the mystery. Being the proper person, properly prepared and taking part and enacting it or seeing it all unfold there in front of me.

I think that’s the key - being part of it rather hen reading it in a book, in order to get to that stage you have to be ready, prepared etc which of course tends to require some sort of screening and preparation – teaching and some sort of initiation. Not everyone can be a doctor – you have to undergo the screening and training most can’t do it and those few who can get to have the Dr. in front of their name and the other trappings.

So what would constitute the mysteries within a Brythonic tradition?

No idea really. A few idea come to mind but then those only do so because they jar so strongly with ‘conventional knowledge’ of the deities and form a core of my personal understanding of the gods that it makes me wonder if this is some lost secret comprehension that needs bringing back to modern Brythonic types. That is of course arrogance of behemothesque proportions. Added to that I have started to post on these matters on my website and Caer Feddwyd, this kind of invalidates the issue. Of course I need to know of I’m on to something which requires me sharing my thoughts and experiences with other likeminded people and hence I am disseminating these would be mysteries. For now the way is to continue sharing and comparing individual experience and keep coming up with these independent common points, for every one that arises it points to a new piece of very big and complicated jigsaw, where that piece will go is something will come with time and patience.

So what would the value of a reinvented British Mystery Tradition be?

Now that I think of it, now, at this time and place there is no value. There are far too few people involved in this ‘scene’ in the first place and I value their input, advice and experience to the point where keeping my own findings secret from them is absurd. I need them to be there to talk to about this and to deliberately cut them off and ask for commitment to a mystery tradition is damn fucking rude and stupid. Then again there are always those who will pay a few quid for ‘Mysteries’. Maybe I could move to the USA and make my fortune?

2 comments:

Ancestral Celt said...

Its odd you should write this particular post at this particular time, because it seems to be popping up in a few places. Experience of the mysteries are so important, but, as you say to publish or talk about them does feel is though you might be devaluing them.

On the other hand, given that the brythonic mysteries are lost in time, without discussion of personal experiences, it may not be possible to build up a knowledge base which might give some assurance the mysteries are not lost altogether.

It is indeed a dilemna and not one easily resolved, I fear.

Bo said...

Gawd. Good luck!