Monday, 29 October 2007

Halloween Bash

Last weekend was the Halloween bash in central London, as usual I was there the whole time. I was helping run the kitchen both days. All very good fun. It never fails to disappoint.

What was great to see were new stallholders who were there for the first time at this bash. Emma from Occult fetish was there (the lady I got the horse skull from) and so I understandably bought a fair bit off of her this time – magpie wings, leg and some boar teeth. She also threw in a free dried crows heart – not sure what I will do with that one! Nicky bought me a fantastic boars head pendant – cant help but love her to pieces and cant wait to go stay with her this coming weekend. Another new stallholder was a lady called Helen Leaf who had a supply of deer skins amongst other things – they were gorgeous. After a chat she told me she had a boar skin at home and would bring it in the second day, which she did and it was fantastic. After a lot of chatting she will be calling me when she gets a boar skin in this winter so that I can go down to Kent and help her prepare it prior to tanning. I will be helping to prepare my own boar hide. Cant wait.

******

On the subject of pigs and boars, I have begun constructing a cult fetish for my Moccus (I must find out what the Welsh equivalent would be – Mochon perhaps – must get in touch with mark about it) fascination. Currently it comprises three boar tusks, a string of antique pigs teeth and two large nape hairs from a wild boar skin. I would like to get some wheat and barley stalks too but fear these will be too brittle to work with unless they form a small dangly piece. The main body I would like is a carved stick of beech with some boar and sow imagery on it. I could always go with pyrography as I know a very clever lady who could do it for me, that being the case the stick could itself be the tale of Henwen and Twrch. So, with this central body engraved or burned, I will tie on the tusks and teeth, bind the hairs on with beeswax and then hang further cultic items from it. I’m thinking that perhaps a length of beech 2 feet long and perhaps as thick as my wrist. I can source the beech when at Nicky’s place this weekend.

As to the Baedd Gwyn book I have started, I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps I should focus on one bit at a time and maybe stick to the Pig Cult work for now and prepare a manuscript for that. Then I can work on further manuscripts in the future until I eventually knock out four books in total. This will also mean that of the next year I can live out what I am writing about, perfect and experience it too. This is going to involve a lot of thought. I mean, if I break it down into a few smaller books then I wont get anywhere near 50,000 words and so will have a harder time getting a publisher which then forces me to consider self publication. A scary yet appealing idea.

No comments: